Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program
What is the McNair Scholars Program?
The McNair Scholars Program is a federal TRIO program funded at approximately 200 institutions across the United States and Puerto Rico by the U.S. Department of Education. It is designed to prepare undergraduate students for doctoral studies through involvement in research and other scholarly activities. McNair participants are either first-generation college students with financial need, or members of a group that is traditionally underrepresented in graduate education and have demonstrated strong academic potential. The goal of the McNair Scholars Program is to increase graduate degree awards for students from underrepresented segments of society .
What Program Benefits and Services do participants receive?
- Summer Research Stipend of up to $2800
- Paid Travel Opportunities to research conferences across the nation
- Paid Travel Opportunities to visit university campuses across the country
- Scholars participate in a summer research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor
- Monthly Seminars that prepare students for research and application to graduate school
- Successful McNair Scholars will have access to McNair-specific graduate school application fee waivers, scholarships/fellowships offered by a hundreds of universities throughout the country
- Scholars receive intensive advisement
- Scholars receive Graduate Record Exam (GRE) prep courses
- McNair/ROP Scholars participate in a research design course
- Students learn about funding opportunities for graduate school
- McNair Scholars are part of a community of scholars both at UNM and nationwide
- McNair Participants emerge from the program prepared for the rigors of graduate school
- Because of their intensive preparation, McNair Scholars are recruited by graduate schools nationwide
- All the above, and much more!