Two Programs, One Mission!
The mission of the University of New Mexico’s Ronald E. McNair Scholars Program and the Research Opportunity Program (ROP) is to prepare high achieving undergraduate students for admission into graduate school to pursue master’s and doctoral degrees. The McNair/ROP programs offer eligible students the opportunity to conduct faculty-mentored research as well as travel opportunities and support during the graduate application process.
Who We Serve
The McNair/ROP programs serve students who are first generation to college, low income, and/or members of ethnic groups traditionally underrepresented in graduate school. Members of the programs participate in numerous activities designed to prepare them for the rigors of graduate education. Scholars who complete the program have been admitted to and earned degrees from many well respected universities throughout the world, including Harvard, Yale, Cornell, Columbia, UC-Berkeley, UW-Madison, Northwestern, Cambridge, and UNM.
About McNair & ROP
The McNair Scholars Program is a federal TRIO program funded at approximately 151 institutions across the United States and Puerto Rico by the U.S. Department of Education. ROP is funded by the NM State Legislature and is only at UNM (main campus).
What benefits do participants receive?
- Summer Research Stipend of up to $2800
- Paid Travel Opportunities to research conferences across the nation
- Paid Travel Opportunities to visit university campuses across the country
- Scholars complete a research project under the guidance of a faculty mentor
- Monthly Seminars that prepare students for research and application to graduate school
- Successful McNair Scholars will have access to McNair-specific graduate school application fee waivers, scholarships/fellowships offered by a hundreds of universities throughout the country
- Scholars receive intensive advisement
- Scholars receive Graduate Record Exam (GRE) prep courses
- McNair/ROP Scholars participate in a research design course
- Students learn about funding opportunities for graduate school
- McNair Scholars are part of a community of scholars both at UNM and nationwide
- McNair Participants emerge from the program prepared for the rigors of graduate school
- Because of their intensive preparation, McNair Scholars are recruited by graduate schools nationwide
- All the above, and much more!
Ready to Apply?
EVENT: You are invited to attend the 2017 McNair/ROP Scholars Research Symposium. Please join our scholars for a poster presentation highlighting their research projects from this past summer. Details included below.
When: Wednesday September 13th, from 1:00-3:00pm
Where: The Student Union Building Atrium (bottom floor of the SUB)
Who’s Invited: Everyone! Event is free.
Monday - Friday
8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
We are located on the third floor of Mesa Vista Hall, across from the Student Union Building (east of the SUB). We are on the north end of the building in Suite 3019.
McNair / ROP
MSC 06 3840
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001